I’ve long been a fan of apple cider vinegar (ACV), and I use it in many ways that don’t include drinking it. Or adding it to food. Food for me that is.
The health and beauty benefits of ACV are many and varied and include:
- clearing skin blemishes
- reduce bloating and gassy tummies (something I am far too familiar with)
- reduce pain from sunburn (I didn’t know that one until recently – although I’m never getting sunburned again…)
- control foot fungus (yuk!)
- help control cholesterol
- help control blood sugars
- reduce tiredness – I should probably increase my intake of ACV and water, particularly around 3pm when I need a nap!
I thought I would share with you the top 5 ways I use my ACV.
1. A teaspoon or two in a glass of warm-ish water first thing in the morning to help kick start the digestive juices – add a bit of honey or maple syrup if it’s too tart. It’s also fantastic if you eat too much and have indigestion – something I am far too familiar with 🙁
2. Use it in a salad dressing with a good oil – I like a fruity olive oil or a macadamia nut oil, a bit of garlic, some honey and maybe a bit of seeded mustard or basil. Beautiful on a big salad.
3. I use it in my hair instead of conditioner (I don’t use shampoo either, but that’s a story for another post!). I use 1 tbs of ACV per 1 cup of water, pop it in an old pop-top water bottle and squirt a little on the ends of my hair when I wash it. I only use it about once a week, and use it quite sparingly. Since using ACV on my hair I have had no dandruff. Greatest thing ever, particularly given my propensity to wear black! Rinse well and you won’t have a vinegar smell.
4. I pop a tablespoon or two into my chickens drinking water 1-2 times a week. Yep. ACV helps keep our beautiful girls healthy too.
5. Pop some ACV on a cotton ball and dab it on pimples or other skin blemishes – works a treat in helping them disappear. Actually, I’m going to try it on my nasty melanoma scar and see if it helps it fade. I’ll keep you posted on that!
The fabulous people at Bragg have given me a small hamper of their new range of drinks to give away to a lucky reader. You will win a 6-pack of their new drinks range, in a pretty wooden box. The new drinks come in a honey flavour, Concord grape, ginger spice and limeade. The ginger spice and limeade are my favourites, and are soooo refreshing when it’s hot.
To win, just leave a comment below telling me how you use apple cider vinegar and why you like it.
One entry per person, entries close next Tuesday, 4 February 2014. Sadly for my international readers, only those with an Australia postal address can enter this competition.
This is not a sponsored post, however Bragg sent me some samples of their new drinks range and a bottle of ACV. Bragg are also providing the prize for this competition and will post it directly to the winner. All opinions are my own.