My guest this episode is Dr Anita Heiss.
Anita is the author of non-fiction, historical fiction, commercial women’s fiction, poetry, social commentary and travel articles. She is a regular guest at writers’ festivals and travels internationally performing her work and lecturing on Indigenous literature.
She is a Lifetime Ambassador of the Indigenous Literacy Foundation and a proud member of the Wiradjuri nation of central NSW. She is an Adjunct Professor with Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning, UTS and currently divides her time between managing the Epic Good Foundation, writing, public speaking, MCing, and being a ‘creative disruptor’.
Anita was a finalist in the 2012 Human Rights Awards and the 2013 Australian of the Year Awards. Her most recent novels are Kicking Goals with Goodsey and Magic and Barbed Wire and Cherry Blossoms.I grew up in a house where love knew no boundaries, least of all race @AnitaHeiss Click To Tweet The average Australian author earns $11,000/year from their writing @AnitaHeiss Click To Tweet
What we discussed
- surrounding yourself with people who want you to get the most out of life
- internet trolls and advice for dealing with them
- travelling for research
- writing a book with Adam Goodes and Michael O’Loughlin
- learning about AFL
- taking up running in her 40s
- eating pineapple Tim Tams
- from learning to run to running half marathons
- mind over matter
- Anita challenges Mel to run 1km
- moving to Brisbane to work for the Epic Good Foundation
- telling Elsie (mum) she was moving to Brisbane
- juggling all the commitments
- wanting to meet Mr Right
- growing up in a mixed marriage
- writing down what you’re looking for in a partner
- the average Australian author earns $11,000/year from their writing
- getting paid as a writer, getting an advance and having to earn it out
- self publishing vs going through a traditional publisher
- being remembered for her cooking
- giving herself time out and being present
If you REALLY loved it, I would love you to leave me a rating and review on iTunes.