Lachlan Scott is one of my favourite people – and yes, it’s largely because his award winning bakery Flour & Chocolate makes the BEST sourdough and croissants in Brisbane, AND I can walk there! Plus, he is just a really great guy who loves his family and good food.
I think Lachlan and his wife Kylie have one of best how-I-started-my-business stories I’ve ever heard.
As well as making sensational sourdough bread, he also makes many other sensational sweet and savoury treats that are beloved by the many Brisbane food lovers who can be seen lining up out the door every weekend.
We recorded this episode in the bakery, and no, you won’t hear me chomping down on chocolate raspberry cake (my favourite sweet food he makes), as it was technically closed and there were no baked goodies! Talk about poor timing!
If you are in Brisbane, definitely pop in for a visit.
You can find Lachlan at Flour & Chocolate, 621 Wynnum Road, Morningside (Brisbane).
Some of the topics we discussed:
- becoming an apprentice at the age of 15 and moving to the Gold Coast from Pittsworth, a small town in Queensland
- deciding to open 5 days a week vs 7
- challenges and the inherent problems of being an apprentice
- using real ingredients vs pre-mix
- going from living in a town with 2,500 people to working in an organisation with 2,500 people!
- the organic certification process
- the real cost of cheap ingredients (and our shared distaste for compound chocolate and margarine)
- the impact of seasonality on the flavour of food – such as spring lamb
- winning $20,000 and opening Flour & Chocolate
- taking opportunities when they present
- going from earning $86 on the first day of trade to having 17 staff on Christmas Eve
- giving food away to help build your name and business
- the price of supermarket bread
- the importance of taking holidays
- having “theme” days
- vegemite croissants (!!)
If you REALLY loved it, please leave me a rating and review on iTunes.