In this episode of A Great Recipe for Life I talk to Cathie Reid, one of the Co-Founders of Australia’s Epic Group, which comprises Epic Pharmacy, Epic Digital and the Epic Good Foundation.
I met Cathie over a few glasses of wine at a Christmas soirée organised by our mutual friend Anita Heiss. I immediately knew I wanted to talk to her about public health, tech, and the pharmaceutical industry on a future podcast, even though at the time I didn’t know what that podcast would look like.
Cathie has been recognised with a slew of business awards including being inducted into the Australian Businesswomen’s Hall of Fame in 2015, and being named one of the Top 100 Women of Influence by the Australian Financial Review in 2013.
She is a true tech geek, a keen adopter of technology, was part of the original Google Glass Explorer program and is currently fascinated by the role tech can play in delivering innovative solutions to the healthcare sector. She also loves shoes and is a prolific reader.
What we discussed
- going out of your comfort zone
- the importance of having good health
- getting around with a crutches and a moon boot for four months
- being part of the Google Glass Explorer program
- being signed up to the Virgin Galactic Future Astronauts program
- working in the pharmacy industry
- how pharmacies can make a difference to people’s health
- the perception that natural medicine is safe and side-effect free
- starting Epic Pharmacy with her husband (then fiancé) in 1998
- working with her husband
- commuting between Brisbane and Perth for four years, with young kids at home in Brisbane
- chocolate cake for breakfast
- the future of healthcare and the opportunity for a revolution
- healthcare and technology and the ability to blend known and unknown data
- can wearables help reverse the increase of non-communicable, lifestyle related disease?
- starting the Epic Good Foundation
- sponsoring Hawthorn Football Club and the Hawthorn Indigenous Program
- the importance of connecting sport with health
- sponsoring women’s sport
- becoming a Director of Brisbane Lions AFL
- favourite books and the MS Readathon
- and of course we mention the fabulous Anita Heiss and her excellent books 🙂
If you REALLY loved it, I would love you to leave me a rating and review on iTunes.