OK so I was happily settled on the couch ready to watch last night’s episode of The Good Wife, only to discover it wasn’t on. Argh! Does anyone else watch it? Isn’t it fantastic?? I’ve loved it since episode one all those years ago.
Anyway, I digress. As I so often do!
I’ve been away a bit over the last few weeks. A three day work trip to Sydney, a few days at the always fabulous Killcare, doing a bit of maintenance on our family holiday house. Now I know you are envisaging me with a tool belt. Don’t. Maintenance involved making checking a few things that needed the handyman to come and fix (that someone else organised!), and driving all over the Central Coast to find a fancy-pants light bulb for a fitting that never should have been installed in the first place. That light bulb cost me $27. Plus petrol. And then I dropped it during installation. Luckily it bounced. Say no more.
When I returned home earlier this week, I had an attack of the meh. A few weeks of not eating overly well had caught up with me. Too much bread, too much pasta, too much wine, way too much meat. Not too many G&Ts. Despite what the level in the bottle of gin might have said!
So I decided that I needed to make a few little modifications to what I was eating. Nothing drastic, just a few more veggies, and a bit less meat. OK, a lot less meat. And maybe a bit less booze. Sigh. Just not the first day, as we went out for pizza for my birthday. And I had wine. As you do.
I made this green salad with poached egg, and have since had another version with left over salmon. So, so good.
Green salad with poached egg (serves 1)
What you need:
- half a baby gem lettuce
- 1/4 to 1/2 an avocado (mine was quite large, so I used 1/4)
- grated beetroot
- small sprinkle of pepitas
- small sprinkle of sunflower seeds
- 1 egg, poached
- Salad dressing – I made a quick dressing by blitzing half a bunch each of Italian parsley and mint, the juice of a lemon and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
What you do:
Assemble all on a plate – easy!
- You could add other veggies – cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sliced capsicum, grated carrot
- You could swap the seeds for nuts – macadamias, pecans, hazlenuts
- Swap the egg for chicken or salmon (or extra avo)
What are your favourite foods when you feel a bit meh? Do you, like me, try and cram in as many veggies as you can?
Do you have any favourite recipes you can share?